FX had a celebrity-filled screening of the season-two debut of hit drama series The Americans at The Paris theater in New York City on Feb. 24, and an after party at The Plaza's Palm Court. Click through for more photos.
Blackout Bowl: Funny Junk-Food Ads, Please!
According to user-behavior data, junk-food ads were among the most popular Super Bowl XLVII commercials -- while Hulu users voted for two heartstring-tugging spots as their faves.
Taco Bell, M&Ms and Doritos scored big with their ads based on TiVo's measurement of how many times the ads were rewatched (and Pepsi landed at No. 8).
By contrast, Hulu's No. 1 and 2 top-voted ads -- not in the TiVo's Top 10 -- were the emotionally resonant Ram Trucks' "Farmer" and Anheuser-Busch's "Brotherhood" about the supposed bond between a young Clydesdale and his human caretaker, with the senior-citizens-behaving-badly Taco Bell ad coming in third. (The revolting supermodel-kisses-geek ad from GoDaddy and the controversial Jamaican white guy VW ad fared well on both lists.)
"When you look at our list, this is what's truly being rewatched by people in their homes -- they're the funnier ads," TiVo senior VP and GM of content and media sales Tara Maitra said.
Personally, Doritos' "Goat 4 Sale" was my favorite -- idiosyncratic and amusing, while emphasizing the product's desirability. Plus: anthropomorphic goat.
Google search data showed Mars was a big marketing winner, with M&Ms the No. 1 trending search (followed by "Beyonce," "Baltimore Ravens," "San Francisco 49ers" and "Colin Kaepernick").
Here are TiVo’s most-rewound Super Bowl commercials for 2013:
- Taco Bell “Viva Young”
- Doritos “Goat For Sale”
- Hyundai Santa Fe “Pick Your Team”
- Doritos “Fashionista Daddy”
- GoDaddy.com “Perfect Date”
- M&Ms “Anything for Love”
- Sketchers “Man Vs. Cheetah”
- Pepsi Next “Pepsi Next Drink it to Believe It”
- Audi “Prom”
- Volkswagen “Get In. Get Happy”
And here are Hulu's "most-liked" SB ads:
- Ram Trucks: Farmer
- Budweiser: Brotherhood
- Taco Bell: Viva Young
- Volkswagen: Get In. Get Happy.
- Universal Pictures: "Fast & Furious 6" Game Day Trailer
- Jeep: America Will Be Whole Again
- Paramount Pictures: "World War Z" Big Game Spot
- Skechers: GOrun 2 - Man vs Cheetah Big Game Commercial
- GoDaddy.com: Perfect Match - Bar Refaeli's Big Kiss!
- MilkPEP: The Rock in Morning Run
Meanwhile, Twitter said there were 24.1 million tweets about the game and halftime show, with the power outage generating the most volume.
And on Facebook, most of the comments were about the game itself (and the blackout), with only Doritos, Tide and Budweiser breaking into the top 10 of most-mentioned terms during the game (while "A Farmer" and "Paul Harvey," which were references to the Ram Trucks ad, also registered).
Finally, according to Networked Insights, here are the 10 "most-discussed" SB ads (by number of mentions). Note that not all the chatter is positive -- of these, Tide's "Miracle Stain" had the most positive viewer reaction (+59% net sentiment) while GoDaddy's "Perfect Match" had the most negative reaction (-11% net sentiment).
- GoDaddy "Perfect Match" (255,121)
- Taco Bell "Viva Young" (213,125)
- Calvin Klein "Concept 30" (209,539)
- Budweiser "Brotherhood" (154,037)
- Ram "Farmer" (96,326)
- Oreo "Cookie v Cream" (65,373)
- Wonderful Pistachios "Crackin' Style" (58,938)
- Tide "Miracle Stain" (55,770)
- Doritos "Goat" (51,053)
- Doritos "Fashionista" (47,962)
Follow me on Twitter: @xpangler