VH1 Soul to Relaunch1/24/2006 6:11 AM Eastern
VH1 Soul will relaunch Feb. 1 in nearly 20 million homes.
The network, which launched in 1997, will celebrate Black History Month with its first-ever lineup of 10 separate themed-music-video program blocks spotlighting the top names and new faces in rhythm-and-blues.
VH1 Soul’s blocks will include:
• The Soul Player, which samples the network’s full range of music videos;
• Top 10: Best in Soul, a weekly countdown of the top 10 soul and R&B videos, with occasional artist visits;
• Soulphrodisiac, featuring “sexy, soulful love songs and ballads”;
• Live Soul, featuring live concert performances and music videos;
• Speak Your Soul, playing videos that viewers request, including a special "Inspirational" request hour on Sundays featuring current gospel-music videos;
• Soul Squared, featuring back-to-back double plays;
• Soul School, presenting old-school hip-hop and R&B videos from the 1980s and 1990s;
• The Soul Story, which chronicles the entire career of a featured artist by airing a timeline of their music videos from oldest to most current;
• Sub Soul, featuring underground, alternative, independent artists; and
• Island Soul, airing reggae, socca, calypso, ska, dancehall and reggae-ton videos.
“This relaunch reflects VH1 Soul's growth into a true destination,” VH1 Digital Television senior vice president and general manager Eric Sherman said in a prepared statement. “We're building on our community of R&B-music lovers by offering specific events and programming blocks that enhance the network's accessibility and enjoyment.”