Spring Tech Forum Preview: Joining ForcesSCTE, NCTA and CableLabs Team on Technology Track 5/10/2010 7:00 PM Eastern
The cable industry's Spring Technical Forum will debut at this year's Cable Show, an event comprising a series of technical presentations, discussion panels and demos that is being jointly presented by the Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers, the National Cable & Telecommunications Association and CableLabs.
The Spring Tech Forum incorporates the future-looking technology discussions from SCTE's Conference on Emerging Technologies as well as the annual NCTA Technical Papers program.
"By merging all three organizations' programs, this conference provides the best learning and information for industry executives in one event," said GCI Cable chief technology officer Dan Pike, and chairman of the Spring Technical Forum selection committee. "Gatherings like this help foster and enrich many innovations that push the cable industry to stay on the cutting edge of broadband technology."
The three-day conference, which kicks off on Tuesday morning, May 11, will feature a series of panels including a strategic view of cable's technology future from the industry's chief technical leadership; practical approaches to improved energy efficiency and cost savings associated with alternative energies and best practices; and a customized view of the entire cable technology ecosystem geared for the local West Coast engineering community. The conference will also feature papers from close to 30 of the industry's leading technologists.
Admission to the Spring Technical Forum is available to all Cable Show attendees, although a separate enrollment is required.
CableNET Turns 18
In addition, CableLabs is again staging CableNET, its 18th annual showcase of new and emerging technologies. Some 34 companies are staging demos in CableNET (adjacent to the My World exhibit).
"CableNET 2010 continues its trend of hosting services and applications being developed today to enrich the consumer experience," CableLabs president and CEO Paul Liao said in a statement.
On the show floor, CableNET again will have a large interactive TV showing, highlighting two CableLabs technologies: the Enhanced TV Binary Interchange Format and Tru2way. Companies participating in the "EBIF Awareness Ecosystem" section of the exhibit include Canoe Ventures, FourthWall Media, S&T, Softel-USA, Unisoft and Zodiac Interactive, while Tru2way demos are on tap from Dreamer, RCDb, and Sofatronic.
Another theme of CableNET this year is advanced network management, with vendors including Applied Broadband, Maxxian, Mixed Signals, Pulse-LINK, Secure Path Technology, Motorola, Sandvine and SupportSoft.
Time Warner Cable will host a reception for Spring Technical Forum participants in the My World exhibit on Tuesday, May 11, at 6:00 p.m. At the event, TWC will provide a tour of the exhibit, which includes Time Warner Cable's My Home connected-home demonstration.
Tech Track Panels
The 10 panels and presentations on the Spring Tech Forum track are scheduled to include:
• Depth Perceptions: Technical Approaches for 3D Video Integration (Tuesday, May 11, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m., room 408B);
• Cloudy With A Chance of Breakthrough: New Models for IP Service Delivery (Tuesday, May 11, 3:15-4:15 p.m., room 408B);
• Road Trip: Mapping Cable's New-Tech Progression (Tuesday, May 11, 4:30-5:30 p.m., room 153);
• Quest for Quality: Optimization Approaches For The Digital Era (Wednesday, May 12, 7:30-9 a.m., room 408B);
• Capacity for Change: Capacity Expansion in Theory & in Practice (Wednesday, May 12, 11 a.m.-12 p.m., room 408B);
• Generation Next: Inventing the Access Networks of Tomorrow (Wednesday, May 12, 2-3 p.m., room 408B);
• Bit Players: Data, Software and the Cable Evolution (Wednesday, May 12, 3:30-4:30 p.m., room 408B);
• EBIF: Delivering Cable's iTV Foundation (Thursday, May 13, 7:30-8:45 a.m., room 408B);
• Getting Energized: Good Ideas (& Profitable Approaches) for Managing Energy Consumption (Thursday, May 13, 10:30-11:30 a.m., room 408B); and
• Strengthening the Bonds: DOCSIS 3.0 for Cable Technology Professionals (Thursday, May 13, 3:30-4:45 p.m., room 408B).
For More Info
2010 Spring Technical Forum: www.springtechforum.com