Even before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office officially suspended Dish Network’s application to trademark “TV Everywhere” — citing Time Warner Inc.’s previously filed claim on the similar “On Demand Everywhere” — the agency had accepted a “letter of protest” from an anonymous party that pointed out the “TV Everywhere” term has been a generically used phrase in the industry (see Dish’s ‘TV Everywhere’ Trademark Application Suspended).
On March 16, 2010, the PTO formally entered the protest letter into the proceeding. The 199 pages of documentation includes news articles, blog posts, press releases, marketing materials and analyst reports. The agency does not publicly identity parties that lodge such trademark protests.
“It has been determined that the evidence submitted by the protester is relevant and supports a reasonable ground for refusal appropriate in ex parte examination,” Janis Long of the Office of the Deputy Commissioner for Trademark Examination Policy wrote in the memo to the PTO attorney reviewing the Dish application.
The letter cited more than a dozen Multichannel News articles, many of them predating Dish’s Sept. 17, 2009, application. Which if nothing else shows we’ve covered the heck out of this topic:
- Cable Show 2009: Time Warner Cable’s Stern: ‘TV Everywhere’ Must Be Easy, Scalable (4/1/2009)
- Cable Show 2009: Bewkes Touts Online Subscription Model (4/2/2009)
- Bewkes: TV Everywhere Trials In Second Half Of 2009 (4/29/2009)
- Cox to Boost ‘Primetime’ Titles (7/13/2009)
- Most Cable Customers Give ‘TV Everywhere’ Thumbs Up: Survey (7/15/2009)
- Comcast Swells Web-TV Roster (7/16/2009)
- Disney Ponders Web Pay Plan (7/26/2009)
- Speed’s a Need for ‘TV Everywhere’ (8/24/2009)
- More Join TV Web Party (9/7/2009)
- Who’s There? A Simple Question Threatens ‘TV Everywhere’s’ Business Model (9/21/2009)
- Comcast: Programmers Control ‘TV Everywhere’ Ad Model (10/13/2009)
- Cable-Tec Expo 2009: CableLabs Seeks Common Approach For ‘TV Everywhere’ (10/29/2009)
- CES 2010: Microsoft Expands IPTV Platform To Handle ‘TV Everywhere’ (1/6/2010)
- Brightcove Targets ‘TV Everywhere’ (1/25/2010)