Chavez Will Fight on PPV in March

Author:
Publish date:
Updated on

New York -- The first major pay-per-view event of the year
will take place in March, as Showtime Event Television is set to distribute a Julio Cesar
Chavez-Miquel Angel Gonzalez bout.

Meanwhile, a potential first-quarter Lennox Lewis PPV event
will apparently now move to Home Box Office, leaving the industry without a major
heavyweight fight.

Chavez and Gonzalez will fight for the vacant World Boxing
Council super-lightweight championship March 7 in Mexico City, SET said. The company did
not announce a suggested retail price for the event.

The two fighters were originally scheduled to meet Oct. 25,
but the fight was postponed after Chavez hurt his elbow.

While Chavez and Gonzalez will mix it up on PPV, Lewis will
fight contender Shannon Briggs on HBO March 28, said sources close to the situation.
Operators were hoping to see Lewis fight Holyfield in March or April in a
mega-PPV-heavyweight bout, but negotiations for the event broke off last month over the
fight's purse.

Briggs defeated George Foreman in a controversial decision
in November.

Related