Ciena Corp. announced several new product developments Monday, in conjunction with the vendor’s participation in the Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers’ Cable-Tec Expo and Supercomm.
• Announced the integration of layer-2 packet-switching capabilities in both its “CN 4300” managed optical-transport and switching platform and its “CN 2300” managed optical-services multiplexer (formally the “LightStack GSLAM” and “LightStack MXA,” respectively).
• Announced that it has proven packet switching interoperability with key vendors in the cable market -- ADC Telecommunications Inc., BigBand Networks Inc., MidStream Technologies Inc., SeaChange International Inc., Syndeo Corp. and Terayon Communication Systems Inc. -- ensuring that MSOs can more efficiently deliver triple-play and commercial services to subscribers in a multivendor environment.
• Announced the introduction of the “CNX-100” modular broadband-loop carrier in response to increasing service-provider demand to deliver broadband services to subscribers served from legacy digital-loop-carrier systems.
• Announced new data-networking solutions that will enable service providers to reduce equipment costs, accelerate response time to service requests and improve service availability and quality of service for metro data-services aggregation, plus provide interconnection to converged IP/MPLS (Internet-protocol/multiprotocol label switching) core networks.
• Announced the availability of the “CN 2600 Multiservice Edge Aggregator,” offering service providers a single-platform solution for delivering Ethernet, TDM (time-division multiplexing) services and other data services to small and medium enterprise customers.
• And announced the addition of a 10-gigabit SONET/SDH (synchronous optical network/synchronous digital hierarchy) add/drop multiplexer (SADM) card to its “ONLINE Metro” multiservice dense-wave-division-multiplexing platform.