WASHINGTON — Rep. Anna Eshoo (D-Calif.), who represents Sillicon Valley, has received plenty of suggestions for her Reddit contest to rebrand network neutrality.
Eshoo said she wanted to “bring some clarity to an otherwise muddy legal debate before the [Federal Communications Commission] finalizes its proposed open Internet rules,” something chairman Tom Wheeler has said he wants to do by year-end.
Here is a random sample of the “top 200” posts, which included brands for both the term and possible legislation to impose it.
• Freedom to Connect (F2C);
• Internet integrity;
• Freedom of Information Transmission (FIT);
• Digital Anti-Discrimination;
• The Opting for Parity Equality and Neturality for All Americans (OPEN) Internet Act;
• Web Equality or Internet Equality. (“People LOVE equality. Neutrality makes it sound like indifference or inaction.”)
• Toll-Free Internet;
• Title II Utility with Section 706 Infrastructure Investment Barrier Removal Capability;
• The Old McDonald Act: Equal Internet for Everyone Involved Online (EIEIO);
• Internet Equality (“It’s good to drive home the point that those against net neutrality want to create inequality based on money”);
• Digital Desegregation Act.