Discovery Communications said it has partnered with The Olympic Channel on a pact that covers 50 markets in Europe to deliver Olympic Games content to its Eurosport channels and the Eurosport Player year-round.
Eurosport already has rights to carry live Olympics coverage in Europe, beginning with the 2018 Games. The new deal will involve library and new original content targeted at younger viewers. As a result of the deal, fans will see Olympic Channel-branded programming and content launching on Eurosport and Eurosport Player; Eurosport presence on the Olympic Channel; an Olympic Channel digital portal on Eurosport.com; and digital amplification of content through dedicated presence on Eurosport’s local Facebook pages and Twitter handles.
“This long-term partnership with the Olympic Channel raises the bar in terms of delivering the very best Olympic stories to more audiences in the most accessible way,” said Discovery Networks International CEO Jean-Briac Perrette in a statement. “For Eurosport, the Olympic Games is always much greater than two weeks of sport. Establishing a long-term partnership with the Olympic Channel to produce, distribute and showcase the very best Olympic content will significantly strengthen our ongoing programming that will keep the Olympic flame burning all year-round.”
The deal lasts through 2024, coinciding with Discovery’s European rights to the Olympic Games.
“We are thrilled to partner with Eurosport to bring audiences closer to the Olympic Movement through a more personalized experience through the Olympic Channel, said IOC’s global Olympic Channel general manager Mark Parkman in a statement. “As we approach our one-year anniversary, this new partnership is an important step as we continue to grow and expand the platform across the globe with localised versions further enabling fans to discover, engage and share in the power of sport and the excitement of the Olympic Games.”
Eurosport will produce new and exclusive original content across all platforms, as well as access to localised content, original series, news and other engaging features. The Olympic Channel will promote Eurosport’s platforms, with its coverage of live sporting events and the Olympic Games.
Featured content beginning Aug. 2 will include:
60 minute specials:
- Hall of Fame series: reliving the greatest stories from most memorable Olympic Games – from Rio 2016 to Lillehammer 1994.
Short form video content on all-screens:
- “On the Line”: An inside track on some of the most famous Olympic Games moments as told through exclusive archival footage and insightful interviews.
- “Against All Odds presented by Bridgestone”: Inspirational stories of athletes who’ve overcome great personal and professional before achieving success at the highest levels.
- “The Olympics: On The Record”: The most famous Olympic records are presented in entertaining packages using recreations, animations and a mix of other visual methods.
- Eurosport will present an annual theme week filled with round-the-clock Olympic sports programming and content.
“The IOC has been an extremely strong partner during the preparations for our first Games as Home of the Olympics at PyeongChang 2018,” Eurosport CEO Peter Hutton said in a statement. “We are pleased this new collaboration will deepen our relationship and extend our Olympic storytelling even further.”