Cablevision Systems Corp. chairman Charles F. Dolan and Playboy Enterprises Inc. chairman and CEO Christie Hefner are among those who will receive Vanguard Awards at next month's National Show.
Dolan was cited for "his lifelong contribution to industry innovation that dates back to his work on the creation of [Home Box Office], and continues today, with the launch of compelling, interactive programming, such as Mag Rack, Rainbow Media Group's new video-on-demand service," the National Cable & Telecommunications Association said in a news release.
The awards committee lauded Hefner for her "longstanding commitment to the First Amendment rights of cable programmers and operators, and for her strong advocacy of workplace diversity." Dolan and Hefner's awards are for distinguished leadership.
Showtime Networks Inc. chairman and CEO Matthew Blank will hand out the Vanguards at a May 7 in New Orleans.
Other Vanguard recipients, by category, are:
- Young leadership: Edward Carroll, executive vice president and general manager of Bravo and Independent Film Channel; Ellen M. East, vice president of communications and investor relations at Cox Communications Inc.
- Programmers: Herb Scannell, president of Nickelodeon, TV Land and TNN: The National Network.
- Associates and Affiliates: William G. McGorry, senior vice president at Reed Business Information Television and Telecom Group, (publisher of Multichannel News).
- Science & Technology: David M. Fellows, chief technology officer, AT&T Broadband.
- Cable Operations Management: John N. Rigsby, president of Time Warner Cable's Central Florida Division.
- Government and Community Relations: Joseph W. Waz Jr., vice president of external affairs and public policy counsel, Comcast Corp.
- Marketing: Len Fogge, executive vice president of creative and marketing, Showtime Networks Inc.