ESPN has pledged to review its safety standards for the X Games, following the tragic death of Caleb Moore pn Thursday, the first casualty in the 18-year history of the event.
"As a result of this accident we will conduct a thorough review of this discipline and adopt any appropriate changes to future X Games," said the network through a statement. "For 18 years we have worked closely on safety issues with athletes, course designers and other experts."
The network, which owns the X Games, cautioned that the nature of the event leads it to health and safety risks. "Still, when the world's best compete at the highest level in any sport, risks remain."
Moore, 25, was competing in Snowmobile Freestyle event on Jan. 24 at the Winter X Games in Aspen, Colo., when he crashed attempting to do a backflip. His family confirmed his death on Jan. 31. ESPN said it was a move that Moore had landed "several times previously."
"[Caleb] will be remembered for his natural passion for life and his deep love for his family and friends," the statement continued. "He will always be an inspiration to everyone he touched in the action sports community."