Oscar de la Hoya will most likely enter the ring for one more pay-per-view event in 2008, but it probably won't be in a rematch with Floyd Mayweather.
Richard Schaefer, CEO of de la Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions fight-promotions company, recently told ESPN.com that while de la Hoya is considering fighting again, it most likely won't be against Mayweather. While the two fighters drew more than 2.15 million PPV buys in their first fight -- which Mayweather won in a close decision -- Schaefer said de la Hoya wants to move on to fight another opponents.
"Oscar told me he respects Mayweather, but he is not going to do a rematch," Schaefer told ESPN.com.
But HBO, which distributed last month's de la Hoya-Mayweather fight, hasn't ruled out the blockbuster rematch.
"At this stage, with respect to Oscar, we are not aware of any particular fight being either 'in' or 'out,'" HBO senior vice president of sports operations Mark Taffet said. "Oscar has said he will fight again in 2008 and, as always, with Oscar, there are a number of megafight possibilities that either exist today or could develop over the second half of 2007.”
If not Mayweather, de la Hoya could fight current welterweight champion Miguel Cotto in a potentially huge PPV event. HBO has yet to release PPV numbers for Cotto's June 9 PPV fight against Zab Judah, in which Cotto knocked out the former welterweight champion in the 11th round of what many boxing observers called the best fight of 2007.
As for Mayweather, the pound-for-pound undisputed boxing champion could fight former welterweight champion Shane Mosley in a big-ticket event later this fall.
"With Mayweather's victory over de la Hoya in May, Cotto's exciting win last week against Zab Judah, Shane Mosley's desire to fight and the upcoming [Antonio] Margarito-[Paul] Williams and [Ricky] Hatton-[Jose Louis] Castillo fights, there could be a number of big and important matchups in the second half of 2007 as the best continue to fight the best in these divisions," Taffet said.