Holyfield-Lewis PPV Rematch in the Works

Author:
Publish date:
Updated on

The momentum for a September Evander Holyfield-Lennox Lewis
rematch began in earnest last week, even as law-enforcement officials continued to
investigate the fighters' controversial March 13 bout.

Last week, fight promoter Don King announced that the
boxers have signed for a rematch of their financially successful heavyweight-championship
fight, which ended in an unpopular draw decision.

The fight -- which will again pit World Boxing Council
champion Lewis against International Boxing Federation and World Boxing Association
champion Holyfield in a heavyweight-unification bout -- is expected to take place in
September, according to King.

After the controversial decision -- which was scored a
draw, even though Lewis appeared to dominate the fight -- both fighters intimated that
they would accept a second bout. Also, the three major boxing-sanctioning bodies mandated
that a rematch take place within six months.

But while King may have signed both fighters to a rematch,
a date and a site for the event have yet to be determined, nor has a pay-per-view deal
been reached.

TVKO, the PPV arm of Time Warner Inc.'s Home Box
Office, which distributed the first fight, would only say that any talk of a rematch is
"premature," as is talk of potential TVKO involvement in such an event.

Sources close to the situation said both TVKO and the
industry are waiting for the conclusion of several criminal investigations surrounding the
fight judges' decision before moving forward with a potentially lucrative rematch.

King and boxing judge Eugenia Williams -- who scored the
fight in Holyfield's favor -- were among several people who testified last week at a
New York State Senate hearing looking into potentially improper outside influences on the
fight's decision.

Along with the decision, the fight could also run into a
scheduling conflict with a potential September Oscar De La Hoya PPV bout.

Sources close to the situation said the popular
welterweight champion is expected to either fight welterweight champion Felix Trinidad or
have a rematch against former champion Ike Quartey in a major Sept. 18 PPV event.

De La Hoya, however, would first have to win a scheduled
May 22, HBO-distributed bout against top contender Oba Carr.

In other PPV-boxing news, former champion Mike Tyson could
be out of prison as early as late April or early May.

The volatile fighter -- who has been in prison since
February on assault charges stemming from a road-rage incident -- could have his two-year
sentence reduced to time served as early as this week, sources close to the situation
said.

Tyson, however, would still have to serve a 60-day sentence
for violating his parole on a rape conviction. That sentence could also be halved if Tyson
behaves himself while in prison, according to published reports.

Related