Investigation Discovery is poised to reach 100 million viewers outside of the United States with its planned launch in Denmark on Saturday Nov. 1, according to its parent Discovery Networks International.
The network, which was launched in the U.S. in February 2008 has been one of the fastest-growing networks in cable television during that time and has seen a parallel growth track internationally. With the US and international audiences combined, Investigation Discovery now reaches more than 185 million viewers across the globe.
“Propelled by its momentum in the US, ID has become a global phenomenon,” said Discovery Networks International president JB Perrette in a statement. “From India to Italy, and from Britain to Brazil, the ID formula of immersive storytelling around crime, mystery and suspense have audiences craving more. We are going to continue our march to expand the reach and market share of Investigation Discovery around the globe.”
Launched in the U.S. just over six years ago and led by Group President Henry Schleiff, Investigation Discovery has grown from a top 50 network to a top 5 network for women. ID also has demonstrated incredible loyalty from its viewers, ranking as the #1 network for viewer satisfaction in the Beta Research Digital Cable Subscriber Study and achieving the longest length of tune in all of television among women 25-54.
“When I joined Discovery in 2009, I knew that Investigation Discovery could become a top ten brand in the U.S. and could also feed an international appetite for compelling, emotional mysteries,” Schleiff said in a statement. “These incredible true stories of human nature are, indeed, universal, as demonstrated by the prolific success of the content around the world.”
Some of the numerous examples of Investigation Discovery’s international success to celebrate this milestone include:
- In the United Kingdom, Investigation Discovery is the number one factual channel for women on pay television.
- In Italy, Investigation Discovery programming block (on local free-to-air channel Giallo) makes it among the top five in length of view for all Italian free-to-air networks.
- In Poland, since its launch in 2012, ID is the #1 mystery and suspense channel in the market and the local version of Stalked aired as a public service campaign with the local police authorities to raise awareness of the growing issue of stalking as a serious crime.
- In Mexico, Brazil and Colombia, Investigation Discovery continues to experience year over year growth, more than 30% with W25-54.
- In Brazil, Deadly Affairs is hosted by a local celebrity, and promos for the series hit nearly five million viewers on the network’s YouTube on its launch date.
- In Colombia, Investigation Discovery ranks among the top five pay television networks with W25-54.
Investigation Discovery began its international rollout in 2009, launching in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Poland, Romania, Hungary, Greece, Serbia, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro and Latvia. In 2011, Investigation Discovery launched in the Netherlands, and, in 2012, launched across Latin America. In 2014, the channel launched in India and South Africa, and a second channel, ID Xtra, was launched to super-serve fans across Central and Eastern Europe, Middle East and Africa.