Netflix Monday announced that its Emmy-nominated drama series House of Cards will end its run after its upcoming sixth season.
A Netflix spokesperson confirmed to Multichannel News the decision to end the series in 2018, which comes a day after actor Anthony Rapp accused series star Kevin Spacey of making an inappropriate sexual advance against him when Rapp was a teenager.
Netflix and House of Cards production company Media Rights Capital said in a joint statement that it is “deeply troubled” by the allegations against Spacey, although sources close to the situation say that the decision to end House Of Cards came before the Spacey revelations.
“In response to last night’s revelations, executives from both of our companies arrived in Baltimore this afternoon to meet with our cast and crew to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported. As previously scheduled, Kevin Spacey is not working on set at this time,” said Netflix and Media Rights Capital in the statement.
House of Cards has been one of Netflix’s signature series, with over 53 Emmy nominations – including 10 for Spacey as a director as well as an actor for his role as President Francis Underwood -- and seven Emmy wins.
As for Spacey, he said Sunday in a statement that while not remembering the encounter he apologized to Rapp for what would have been “deeply inappropriate" behavior.
— Kevin Spacey (@KevinSpacey) October 30, 2017