The third extension proved to be the charm as Nexstar Broadcasting Group reached a new retransmission-consent deal with Dish Network.
The agreement, financial terms of which were not disclosed, covers 60 network affiliated and local stations in 46 markets. The pact, announced Wednesday night around 10 p.m. (ET), ensured there would be no disruption in service for Dish subscribers relative to the attendant stations, which include affiliates of NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, MyNetworkTV, The CW, and Telemundo.
The parties' contract was originally set to expire on Dec. 5 at 11:59 p.m. (ET). A second extension was granted through Dec. 9 at 11:59 p.m., before Nexstar pushed a new deadline until Wednesday at the aforementioned time.
In a press release, Nexstar said it is "delighted" that Dish subscribers in those markets will continue to have uninterrupted access to the content. Nexstar also said it is "proud" that there haven’t been any "material service interruptions" related to distribution agreements with its station group since 2005.
Dish could not be immediately reached by comment at press time.
It has been a busy few weeks for the nation’s No. 2 DBS provider on the carriage front. A retrans scorecard shows that CBS granted Dish a third extension before pulling station signals for around 12 hours on Friday, Dec. 5 into Saturday morning. The parties subsequently reached a new accord that also included CBS's cable properties.
NBC Sports Group on Dec. 2 granted Dish an extension ahead of contract expiration late that night that has kept four Comcast SportsNet regionals – Chicago, Mid-Atlantic, California and Bay Area – available to its subscribers.
Last month, Turner Broadcasting System agreed to an extension, which sources say lasts into March, with Dish, an accord deal that put eight of its pay TV networks back on the air for Dish subscribers, while avoiding a blackout of its flagship TBS and TNT networks.