Keith Olbermann has been counted out at MSNBC.
"MSNBC and Keith Olbermann have ended their contract," the network said in a statement late Friday. "The last broadcast of Countdown with Keith Olbermann will be this evening. MSNBC thanks Keith for his integral role in MSNBC's success and we wish him well in his future endeavors."
Olbermann, the network's most high-profile anchor, broke the news at the end of Countdown Friday night, telling his audience that he had been told it would be his last show.
,MSNBC now has to shuffle its lineup. The Last Word With Lawrence O'Donnell moves from 10 p.m. to 8 p.m., with The Ed Show moving from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. starting Monday, Jan. 24. Olbermann had been airing in the 8 p.m. hour. The Rachel Maddow Show remains at 9 p.m. O'Donnell will repeat at 11 p.m., as Olbermann had, and Cenk Uygur, MSNBC contributor and host of Web show "The Young Turks," will fill in as host of the 6 p.m. hour.
The exit came only days after the FCC approved Comcast's deal to take over NBC Universal.
One insider said that Comcast was informed of the deal made to terminate Olbermann's contract before it was announced, but that it was not involved in the decision.
Comcast spokeswoman Sena Fitzmaurice said: "Comcast has not closed the transaction for NBC Universal and has no operational control at any of its properties including MSNBC. We pledged from the day the deal was announced that we would not interfere with NBC Universal's news operations. We have not and we will not."
An MSNBC spokesman would not comment on the situation beyond the network's statement.
Similarly, Comcast said back in November it had no role in Olbermann's suspension over his donation to Democratic candidates in violation of company policy, or his subsequent reinstatement.