The Sopranos creator David Chase will stay with the show for a fifth
season if Home Box Office decides to renew it.
HBO would not comment on the deal with Chase, but sources close to the
situation called the reported $20 million paid to secure the deal 'high.'
While Chase has said publicly that he would likely end his relationship with
the show after the upcoming fourth season, sources said the premium network
lured Chase back for another season of the highly successful but controversial
The Sopranos garnered 22 Emmy Award nominations earlier this week despite
complaints from some critics and viewers that the show is too violent and
depicts an unflattering view of Italian Americans.
HBO announced at the Television Critics Association press tour in Pasadena,
Calif., that it will rerun the first three seasons of the mob dramedy Sundays at
8 p.m. for 39 straight weeks beginning Aug. 12.
However, HBO executives were noncommittal on when the fourth season of the
show would premiere, which could occur as late as September.
'We'll do what's best for the show,' HBO original programming president Chris
Albrecht said at the TCA tour.