USA Network returned the top of the weekly ratings charts during a week dominated by high viewership of the Michael Jackson memorial service.
USA, which finished second to TNT last week, drew a 2.4 primetime household rating to finish first among all basic cable networks for the week of July 6 to July 12, according to a Disney/ABC Group analysis of Nielsen Media Research.
Disney Channel finished second for the week, averaging a 2.2 rating, followed by TNT (1.8 rating) and Fox News (1.7). The rebranded Syfy (formerly Sci Fi Channel) averaged a 1.3 rating, tying for fifth place with ABC Family, while Nick At Nite and FX (tied with a 1.2) and TBS and CNN (with a 1.1) rounded out the top 10.
CNN's July 7 coverage of the Michael Jackson memorial service in Los Angeles took four of the top 10 spots among the most -watched shows for the week, as well as the top spot among viewers 18-34 years old, according to a Turner Research analysis of Nielsen Media Research data.
USA Network shows Royal Pains, Burn Notice and each hour of the two-hour WWE Monday Night Raw show occupied four other top 10 slots. TNT's The Closer finished first, drawing 6 million viewers for a July 6 original episode, according to Nielsen.
TNT's July 11 coverage of the NASCAR Sprint Cup Race from Chicago drove past all other shows to take the checkered flag among viewers 25-54, according to Turner.
10 Most-Watched Shows*
Show Date Network Total Viewers
1. The Closer 7/6 TNT 6.0 million
2. Royal Pains 7/9 USA 5.73 million
3. Jackson Memorial Service (3-3:48 p.m.) 7/7 CNN 5.72 million
4. Burn Notice 7/9 USA 5.5 million
5. WWE Monday Night Raw (10-11:06 p.m.) 7/6 USA 5.39 million
6. Jackson Memorial Service (2-3 p.m.) 7/7 CNN 5.38 million
7. iCarly 7/11 Nickelodeon 5.22 million
8. Jackson Memorial Service (1:33-2 p.m.) 7/7 CNN 5.1 million
9. Jackson Memorial Service (3:48-4 p.m.) 7/7 CNN 4.9 million
10.WWE Monday Raw (9-10 p.m.) 7/6 CNN 4.8 million
*Week of July 6 to July 12
Source: Disney-ABC Television Group analysis of Nielsen Media Research.