NEW YORK --Vimeo has introduced the first phase of its new subscription tools for Vimeo On Demand, the largest open transactional VOD platform worldwide. Now in addition to offering content à la carte for sale or rental, creators can choose to charge fans a monthly subscription fee for unlimited viewing. The new subscription tools are one more way Vimeo empowers creators to earn revenue by selling directly to fans, instead of relying on interruptive advertising.
“Subscription video on demand (SVOD) is a natural extension of Vimeo’s transactional VOD platform, giving creators a new way to sell content to viewers worldwide,” said Kerry Trainor, CEO, Vimeo. “Online video is entering an exciting new stage where creators don’t have to rely on pre-roll advertising alone to earn money, and Vimeo is building the open global platform for paid video distribution.”
Vimeo’s subscription video tools provide creators with the flexibility, control and powerful economics they’ve become accustomed to with Vimeo On Demand, including:
- Flexible pricing: creators set their own buy, rent or monthly subscription pricing.
- Sell anywhere: creators can sell through the Vimeo On Demand storefront, its Publisher Network featuring over 100 partners or on any website using Vimeo’s embeddable HD player.
- Geographic windowing: creators have the option to offer subscriptions worldwide or in select countries of their choice.
- Stats dashboard: creators have access to aggregate subscriber data, including new subscriber count and subscription revenue.
- Audience development tools: creators can grant free subscription trials, offer free episodes and release exclusive bonus material to help grow their global audience.
- Powerful revenue share: creators keep 90% of revenue after transaction fees.
This is the first phase of Vimeo's SVOD offering, which will be expanded later this year.